Exercise and physical activity should be a regular part of your life after a pancreas transplant to continue improving your overall physical and mental health.
After a transplant, regular exercise helps boost energy levels and increase strength. It also helps you maintain a healthy weight, reduce stress and prevent common post-transplant complications such as high blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Your Mayo Clinic transplant team will recommend a physical activity program based on your individual needs and goals.
Soon after your transplant, you should walk as much as you can. Then start incorporating more physical activity into your daily life, including participating in at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise five days a week.
Walking, bicycling, swimming, low-impact strength training and other physical activities you enjoy can all be a part of a healthy, active lifestyle after transplant. But be sure to check in with your transplant team before starting or changing your post-transplant exercise routine.
Aug. 19, 2017
- Klein CL, et al. Patient selection for and immunologic issues relating to kidney-pancreas transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Klein C, et al. Benefits and complications associated with kidney-pancreas transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Pancreas transplantation. American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/transplantation/pancreas-transplantation.html. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Robertson RP. Pancreas and islet transplantation in diabetes mellitus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 21, 2016.
- Health after transplantation. American Society of Transplantation. http://www.healthytransplant.com/health_maintenance/health_after_transplantation.aspx Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Preparing for the transplant. American Society of Transplantation. http://www.healthytransplant.com/health_maintenance/preparing_for_transplant.aspx. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Kidney-pancreas transplant. National Kidney Foundation. http://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/kidpantx.cfm. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients 2012 Annual Data Report: Pancreas. Health Resources and Services Administration.
http://srtr.transplant.hrsa.gov/annual_reports/2012. Accessed April 12, 2016.
- Chakkera HA (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Phoenix, Arizona. April 12, 2016.
- Side effects. UNOS Transplant Living. http://transplantliving.org/after-the-transplant/medications/side-effects/. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Pancreas transplant. National Kidney Foundation. https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/pancreastx. Accessed March 22, 2016.
- Heilman RL, et al. Immunosuppression in simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplantation. Drugs. 2010;70:793.
- Kandaswamy R, et al. Pancreas. American Journal of Transplantation. 2016;16(suppl 2):47.
- Pancreas. Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network. https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/data/organ-datasource/pancreas/. Accessed March 23, 2016.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Pancreas transplant. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Pancreas. PubMed Health. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMHT0015631/. Accessed April 7, 2016.
- Guidance for industry: Considerations for allogeneic pancreatic islet cell products. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/CellularandGeneTherapy/ucm182440.htm. Accessed March 28, 2016.
- Pancreatic islet transplantation. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/Diabetes/pancreatic-islet-transplantation/Pages/index.aspx. Accessed March 28, 2016.
- Kudva YC, et al. Comprehensive immune monitoring reveals profound immunological changes in pancreas after kidney (PAK) transplant recipients. Human Immunology. 2013;74:738.
- Reddy KS, et al. Alemtuzumab with rapid steroid taper in simultaneous kidney and pancreas transplantation: Comparison to induction with antithymocyte globulin. Transplantation Proceedings. 2010;42:2006.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2016.
- Procedure details
- More about