Wheat allergy is an allergic reaction to foods containing wheat, one of the top eight food allergens in the United States. Allergic reactions can result from eating wheat, but also, in some cases, by inhaling wheat flour. Wheat can be found in many foods, including some you might not suspect, such as beer, soy sauce and ketchup.
Avoiding wheat is the primary treatment for wheat allergy. Medications may be necessary to manage allergic reactions if you accidentally eat wheat.
Wheat allergy sometimes is confused with celiac disease, but these conditions differ. A wheat allergy generates an allergy-causing antibody to proteins found in wheat. In people with celiac disease, a particular protein in wheat — gluten — causes an abnormal immune system reaction.
May 17, 2014
- Wheat allergy. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/allergies/Types/food-allergies/types/Pages/wheat-allergy.aspx. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Sicherer SH. Food allergens: Overview of clinical features and cross-reactivity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Burks W. Clinical manifestations of food allergy: An overview. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Wheat allergy. Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America. http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=20&cont=519. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Burks W. Diagnostic evaluation of food allergy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Nolte H, et al. Overview of skin testing for allergic disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 10, 2014.
- Pietzak M. Celiac disease, wheat allergy and gluten sensitivity: When gluten free is not a fad. Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition. 2012;36:68S.
- Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of food allergy in the United States. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/_LAYOUTS/NIAID.Internet.Controls/SearchResults.aspx?getfields=description&q=Guidelines%20for%20the%20Diagnosis%20and%20Management%20of%20Food%20Allergy%20in%20the%20United%20States. Accessed March 10, 2014.