Somatic symptom disorder involves having a significant focus on physical symptoms — such as pain or fatigue — to the point that it causes major emotional distress and problems functioning. You may or may not have another diagnosed medical condition associated with these symptoms.
Excessive thoughts, feelings and behaviors in response to physical symptoms may lead to frequent doctor visits. You often think the worst about your symptoms and continue to search for an explanation, even when other serious conditions have been excluded. Health concerns may become such a central focus of your life that it's hard to function, sometimes leading to disability.
If you have somatic symptom disorder, you may experience significant emotional and physical suffering. Treatment can help ease symptoms, help you cope and improve your quality of life.
May 21, 2015
- Somatic symptom disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed April 22, 2015.
- Somatic symptom disorder. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed April 22, 2015.
- Greenberg DB. Somatization: Epidemiology, pathogenesis, clinical features, medical evaluation, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 22, 2015.
- Greenberg DB. Somatization: Treatment and prognosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 22, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Somatic symptoms disorder. Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Somatic symptom disorder. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/psychiatric-disorders/somatic-symptom-and-related-disorders/somatic-symptom-disorder. Accessed April 27, 2015.
- Gerstenblith TA, et al. Primary care and consultation-liaison interventions for somatic symptom and related disorders. In: Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders. 5th ed. American Psychiatric Publishing; 2014. http://psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.books.9781585625048.gg33. Accessed April 22, 2015.
- Isaac ML, et al. Medically unexplained symptoms. Medical Clinics of North America. 2014;98:663.
- Somashekar B, et al. Psychopharmacotherapy of somatic symptoms disorders. International Review of Psychiatry. 2013;25:107.
- Krishnan V, et al. Caregiver burden and disability in somatization disorder. Journal of Psychosomatic Research. 2013;75:376.
- Stonnington CM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 3, 2015.
- Sawchuk CN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 8, 2015.