How does stress affect my RA symptoms and what can I do about it?
Reducing stress in your daily life is an important part of your arthritis self-care because research suggests that stress can lead to RA symptom flares. Practicing one or two of the following simple techniques can help lower your stress and help keep RA pain, stiffness and fatigue at bay:
- Breathe. Sit in a quiet room, close your eyes and take some very slow deep breaths. Silently repeat positive words as you breathe in and out such as, "peace" and "calm." Once you're settled, imagine yourself relaxing in a beautiful place. Draw a picture in your mind of how it looks, feels, smells and sounds. Then spend the next few minutes on a private vacation.
- Move around. Even light physical activity like taking a walk can help relieve stress by reducing pain and improving your sleep. Gentle yoga and tai chi are also great ways to lower stress by connecting slow, flowing movement with deep breathing.
- Share. Find a good listener and tell that person about the things that cause you stress or worry. You may find it helpful to join a support group for people living with arthritis. Some people find a creative outlet helps relieve their stress, such as writing in a journal, painting, making pottery or doing needlework.
- Prioritize. Take a moment each morning or at night before you fall asleep to think through your "to do" list. What really has to get done? Do you have to do it yourself or can you ask someone else to handle it?
Talk to your doctor if you are feeling overwhelmed by stress and anxiety or if you'd like more ideas on ways to manage stress in your daily life.
Oct. 01, 2015
See more Expert Answers
- Davis J. Stress and worry affect RA. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/comorbidities/depression-and-arthritis/stress-rheumatoid-arthritis.php. Accessed Jul. 14, 2015.
- Hassett AL, et al. The role of stress in rheumatic diseases. Arthritis Research & Therapy. 2010;12:123.
- Straub RH, et al. Rheumatoid arthritis: Stress in RA: A trigger of proinflammatory pathways? Nature Reviews Rheumatology. 2014;10:516.
- O'Donovan A, et al. Elevated risk for autoimmune disorders in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder. Biological Psychiatry. 2015;77:365.
- Boscarino JA. Posttraumatic stress disorder and physical illness: Results from clinical and epidemiologic studies. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences. 2004;1032:141.
- Best stress relievers for RA. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/other-therapies/mind-body-pain-relief/best-stress-relief-ra.php. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Davis MC, et al. Mindfulness and cognitive-behavioral interventions for chronic pain: Differential effects on daily pain reactivity and stress reactivity. 2015;83:24.
- Nyklicek I, et al. Psychological distress across twelve months in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: The role of disease activity, disability, and mindfulness. 2014;78:162.
- Coping with an arthritis flare. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/pain-management/flares/rheumatoid-arthritis-flare.php. Accessed July 14, 2013.
- Best stress relievers for RA — Use the power of breath. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/other-therapies/mind-body-pain-relief/best-stress-relief-ra-2.php. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Best stress relievers for RA — Imagine a picture in your mind. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/other-therapies/mind-body-pain-relief/best-stress-relief-ra-4.php. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Best stress relievers for RA — Make movement medicine. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/other-therapies/mind-body-pain-relief/best-stress-relief-ra-7.php. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Best stress relievers for RA — Harness the mind-body connection. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/other-therapies/mind-body-pain-relief/best-stress-relief-ra-5.php. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Best stress relievers for RA — Talk it out. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/other-therapies/mind-body-pain-relief/best-stress-relief-ra-6.php. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Best stress relievers for RA— Embrace the artist in you. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/other-therapies/mind-body-pain-relief/best-stress-relief-ra-8.php. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Best stress relievers for RA — Make a list and check it twice. Arthritis Foundation. http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/treatments/natural/other-therapies/mind-body-pain-relief/best-stress-relief-ra-10.php. Accessed July 14, 2015.