Penicillin allergy is an abnormal reaction of your immune system to the antibiotic drug penicillin. Penicillin is prescribed for treating various bacterial infections.
Common signs and symptoms of penicillin allergy include hives, rash and itching. Severe reactions include anaphylaxis, a life-threatening condition that affects multiple body systems.
Research has shown that penicillin allergies may be over-reported — a problem that can result in the use of less appropriate and more expensive antibiotic treatments. Therefore, an accurate diagnosis is needed when penicillin allergy is suspected to ensure the best treatment options in the future.
Other antibiotics, particularly those with chemical properties similar to penicillin, can also result in allergic reactions.
Nov. 22, 2014
- Romano A, et al. Antibiotic allergies in children and adults: From clinical symptoms to skin testing diagnosis. The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology in Practice. 2014;2:3.
- Pichichero ME, et al. Penicillin and cephalosporin allergy. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2014;112:404.
- Romano A, et al. Antibiotic allergy. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2014;34:489.
- Anaphylaxis. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/immunology_allergic_disorders/allergic_autoimmune_and_other_hypersensitivity_disorders/anaphylaxis.html?qt=anaphylaxis&alt=sh. Accessed Aug. 10, 2014.
- Joint Task Force on Practice Parameter. Drug allergy: An updated practice parameter. Annals of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. 2010;105:259.
- Chiriac AM, et al. Drug allergy diagnosis. Immunology and Allergy Clinics of North America. 2014;34:461.
- Beta-lactams. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/infectious_diseases/bacteria_and_antibacterial_drugs/β-lactams.html?qt=lactams&alt=sh. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.
- Adkinson NF, et al. Middleton's Allergy: Principles and Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 22, 2014.
- Drug reactions and drug allergies. American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. http://www.acaai.org/allergist/ALLERGIES/TYPES/DRUG-ALLERGY/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed July 22, 2014.
- Solensky R, et al. Evaluation of antibiotic allergy: The role of skin tests and drug challenges. Current Allergy and Asthma Reports. 2014;14:459.
- Drug hypersensitivity. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/immunology_allergic_disorders/allergic_autoimmune_and_other_hypersensitivity_disorders/drug_hypersensitivity.html?qt=drug sensitivity&alt=sh. Accessed July 22, 2104.
- Solensky R. Allergy to penicillins. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 6, 2014.